I just returned from a holiday trip and wanted to cook something quick and easy today. You all know what happens when we eat outside food. We end up eating all junk, untimely food and stomach goes for a toss. So, I decided to cook Navratan dal and serve it with some steamed rice for lunch today.
Navratna means nine gems. So, navratan dal is a mix of nine lentils and legumes. It is extremely good for health and power packed food. So, sharing an easy recipe to make delicious natvrtna dal today. I hope you all try it out too.
You can also try out other Dal recipe from my blog like:-
Navratna Dal - Mixed Dal Recipe
- Rajma/Kidney beans - 1 tbsp
- White Chickpeas - 1 tbsp
- Black Chickpeas - 1 tbsp
- Black eyed Peas/Lobhia – 1 tbsp
- Dried Green Peas - 1 tbsp
- Moong Dal/Green gram - 1 tbsp
- Urad Dal/white lentil - 1 tbsp
- Chana Dal/Split Chickpeas - 1 tbsp
- Toovar Dal/split pigeon peas - 1 tbsp
- Onion – 1 big one finely chopped
- Tomatoes – 2 big ones finely chopped
- Grated ginger – 1 tbsp
- Garlic cloves – 4 Finely chopped
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Carom Seeds – 1 tsp
- Garam masala – 1 tsp
- Dhaniya Powder/Coriander Powder - 1/2 tsp
- Red chilli powder – ½ tsp
- Turmeric Powder – ¼ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Vegetable Oil – 1 tbsp
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
Clean and soak all lentils and legumes in water for 2 hours.
Pressure cook soaked lentils with enough of water till its cooked. You should be able to mash lentil between your fingers.
Add oil in a pan and when it’s warm, add cumin seeds and carom seeds.
Saute it for few seconds and then add the chopped onions, ginger and garlic to it.
When onions turn golden brown add tomatoes to it.
Saute it nicely for few minutes till tomatoes turn mushy.
Add cooked lentils, garam masala, chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, salt and mix it well. Close the pan and let it simmer for few minutes.
Garnish some coriander leaves before serving.