Dal Fry is a North Indian dish served with rice or Indian flat bread. It is prepared using lentils and cooked along with mild spices. Lentils are a powerhouse of nutrition and help lower cholesterol level and keep blood sugar levels in control. They are high in fiber and can be easily included in any diet. So, sharing a Dhaba Style Dal Fry Recipe today and hope you all enjoy try and enjoy this healthy power-packed dish with your family.
Dhaba Style Dal Fry Recipe
Prep Time 30 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 50 minutes
- Toor Dal/ yellow split pigeon peas – 3 tbsp
- Chana Dal/ split chickpeas - 2 tbsp
- Masoor Dal/red lentil - 2 tbsp
- 1 Onion finely chopped
- 1 Tomato finely chopped
- Grated Ginger – 1 tsp
- Garlic – 4 cloves finely chopped
- Jeera/Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Green Chilli – 1 finely chopped
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Red chill powder – 1/2 tsp
- Kasoori Methi/Dried fenugreek leaves – 1 tbsp
- Coriander Leaves for garnishing - 2 tbsp Chopped
- Lemon Juice - 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- vegetable oil/Ghee – 2 tsp
Clean and soak all dal in some water for 30 minutes. Drain water.
In a 3 liter pressure cooker, add soaked dal with 1 cup of water and turmeric powder.
When the water starts boiling, close the cooker and give 2-3 whistles or till lentils are soft and cooked properly. Mash the dal and keep it aside.
Add oil in a pan and when the oil is warm add cumin seeds and onion. When onions turns translucent, add grated ginger, finely chopped garlic , green chillies and saute.
Now add chopped tomatoes and saute for 2 minutes.
Now add cooked lentil with water, red chill powder, kasuri methi, salt to taste and mix it well. Add more water if you feel its too thick. Let it simmer on low flame for few minutes and keep stirring in between.
Transfer in a bowl, add lemon juice and mix. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve.