Sorakkai Kootu is a curry with bottle gourd and lentil cooked in coconut bgravy. It is usually served with rice, sambar, rasam etc. Kootu is usually made with some vegetable like Bottle gourd, chow chow, snake gourd and lentil in coconut gravy.
So, sharing a quick recipe to make Sorakkai Kootu today. You can serve this with flat bread or rice.
Sorakkai Kootu / Bottle Gourd Kootu
Author: Priya Shiva
Recipe type: Curry
- Chopped Bottle Gourd/Sorakkai - 2 cups
- Moong dhuli dal/yellow lentil - ¼ cup
- Turmeric powder -1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves - 1 sprig
- Grated coconut - ½ cup
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Red chilli - 2
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Urad dal/white lentil - 1 tsp
- Asafoetida - a pinch
- Vegetable oil - 1 tbsp
- Soak yellow lentil in water for 15 minutes.
- Add coconut, cumin seeds and red chilli in your grinder and make a paste of it by adding little water.
- Pressure cook chopped bottle gourd and yellow lentil with enough water.
- Combine cooked lentil, bottle gourd, coconut paste in a pan. Mix it well.
- Cook it on low flame, add turmeric powder and salt and mix well. Add water if you feel too thick and remove from flame.
- Add oil in small frying pan and add asafoetida, white lentil and mustard seeds.
- When mustard seeds crackle, add curry leaves and saute for few seconds and add this to the kootu.