Manga thokku is a famous instant pickle made in South India. It is spicy and goes well with rice or any flat bread. Usually the skin is removed from the mango to reduce the bitterness but this time I did not remove the skin and added jaggery to have a combination of sweet and spicy flavor in the pickle.
You can also check other pickle recipes on my blog:-
So, sharing the recipe for sweet and spicy manga thokku today..
Manga Thokku – Sweet and Spicy Instant Mango Pickle
Recipe Type: Pickle
Make instant mango pickle with easy ingredients!
- Raw Mangoes – 2
- Red chili powder – 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tbsp
- Fenugreek seeds – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Grated Jaggery – 1/2 cup
- Asafoetida – a generous pinch
- Salt to taste
- Sesame Oil – 1 cup
- Dry roast fenugreek seeds for 2 minutes on low flame and when it cools down grind it to a fine powder.
- Wash and wipe the mangoes with a clean cloth. Scrape the mangoes and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and add asafoetida and mustard seeds.
- When mustard seeds crackle, add scraped mango and saute till the mangoes become soft.
- Add turmeric powder, chilly powder, roasted fenugreek seeds, salt to taste, jaggery and mix well.
- Keep stirring for few minutes till oil starts separating on the edges.
- Once the pickle cools down completely, transfer it in an airtight container.
- Enjoy this pickle with rice and any flat bread.
Taste the pickle in the end so that you can adjust the taste accordingly.