Rasam is a very common dish prepared in South India. This is usually eaten with rice and easily digestible. It is a South Indian soup and traditionally made with tamarind pulp, spices and tomatoes. It is also known as Saaru and it is usually loved by everyone for its tangy taste. I have already shared recipes for Home-made rasam podi and lemon rasam.
So, sharing tomato rasam recipe today and hope you all enjoy making it..
- Cooked Mashed Toor dal/yellow pigeon peas spilt - ¼ cup
- Chopped Tomatoes - 2
- Rasam powder - 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Asafoetida - ¼ tsp
- Turmeric powder - ½ tsp
- Imli/tamarind - ¼ cup
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- Soak the tamarind in 1 cup of warm water for 15 minutes. Now strain it by removing the pulp and add the tamarind water in a pan.
- Now add chopped tomatoes, rasam powder, a pinch of asafoetida, turmeric powder and boil it for 5 minutes on low flame. Keep stirring in between.
- Now add cooked dal and 3 cups of water into it and add some salt and mix it well. Remove from the flame and keep it aside.
- Take a small frying pan and add 1 tbsp ghee and mustard seeds to it. Once the seeds crackle add it into the mix and garnish it with some coriander leaves.
- Enjoy it with rice or you can also drink it as a soup.