What do you do with jackfruit seeds? Do you discard them after eating the fruit? Jackfruit seeds are extremely good for health and you can make a delicious curry with it. I’m sharing my grandma recipe today to make Kongunadu Palakottai Kurma Curry.
I grew up watching my mother and grandma cook dishes using jackfruit. We would wait for the jackfruit season so that we can make chakka pradhaman, chakka paniyaram etc.. Nothing will be wasted in my house including the seeds. We call jackfruit seeds as palakottai in Tamil. I’m sharing a curry recipe today which I learnt from my grandma. Kongunadu Palakottai Kurma Curry is made using jackfruit seeds which is cooked in tangy coconut gravy.. Do try it out this jackfruit season and share your feedback..
- Jackfruit seeds/palakottai - 1 cup
- Onion - 1 (medium size and chopped)
- Tomato - 1 (big one and chopped)
- Fresh desiccated coconut - 1 cup
- Tamarind – 2 tbsp
- Coriander seeds – 2 tbsp
- Chana dal/Bengal gram – 1 tbsp
- Red chilies – 4
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Asafoetida/hing – ¼ tsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
- Vegetable oil - 2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Soak tamarind in 1 cup of warm water for 15 minutes. Now drain the water in a separate bowl by removing the pulp.
- Clean and pressure cook Jackfruit seeds. Peel and chop it in small pieces.
- Add 1 tbsp of oil and saute chana dal, coriander seeds, red chilies for a minute. Now add chopped onions and tomatoes and saute for few minutes. Allow it to cool down.
- Add this in your grinder along with desiccated coconut and blitz it to make a smooth paste. You can add little water to it.
- Take a heavy bottom pan and add 1 tbsp oil. Add asafoetida and mustard seeds.
- When mustard seeds crackle, lower the flame and add curry leaves. Saute for few seconds.
- Now add coconut paste, tamarind water, and let it simmer on low flame for few minutes.
- Add salt to taste, turmeric powder and mix it well.
- Now add chopped jackfruit seeds and mix gently. Let it cook in the gravy for few minutes. If you feel gravy is too thick, add some water and adjust the consistency.
- Remove from the flame and serve with rice.