Chakka Pradhaman is a traditional pudding of Kerala,India made with Jack fruit cooked in coconut milk. Chakka Pradhaman is usually made with Chakka Varatti which is a thick jam made with jack fruit and jaggery. I did not have this handy but anyways thought of taking the efforts and making it.
I simply love this Chakka pradhaman. It is even made for Onam festival in Kerala. I’m sharing a detailed the recipe with you all and hope you all try it out too..
- Ripe Jack fruit – 12 pieces
- Jaggery -1 cup
- Coconut -1 big one
- Fresh Coconut pieces – 1 tbsp (finely chopped)
- Cashew nuts – 8
- Raisins – 8
- Cardamom powder -1/2 tsp
- Ghee – 2 tbsp
- Remove the seeds of jack fruit and take the fruit alone in a bowl. Chop and pressure cook with 1/4 cup of water till its soft and cooked. Let it cool down completely and mash it.
- Add jaggery with 1/2 cup of water in a heavy bottom pan. Once it starts boiling and jaggery has melted, remove from the gas stove and strain the water it to remove the impurities. Keep the jaggery water aside.
- Break the coconut and grate the complete coconut. Add grated coconut and 1 and 1/2 cup of warm water in your grinder and blitz it for few seconds. Strain it through a thin muslin cloth to extract the coconut milk. The first lot will be thick milk and keep it aside in a separate container.
- Now again add the squeezed coconut with 1 and 1/2 cup warm water in your grinder and bltiz it and extract extract the second cup of coconut milk and keep this separately.
- Heat 1 tbsp of ghee and fry cashew nuts on low flame in a small frying pan till it turns light golden brown. Add raisins and saute for few seconds and remove it from the pan. Now add the coconut pieces and fry till light golden brown.
- Add the jack fruit pulp along with jaggery water in a heavy bottom pan along with 1 tbsp of ghee. Once it starts boiling lower the flame and cook till it thickens. Keep stirring.
- Add the second coconut milk and boil for few minutes. Now add the first cup of coconut milk and mix it well. Remove from the flame and add cardamom powder. Do not over boil after adding coconut milk again.
- Garnish with fried cashew nuts, raisins and coconut pieces. You can serve it hot or chilled.