Keerai Vadai or spinach vada is a delicious snack with a healthy twist. I had an early lunch today or I would call it more of a brunch. I cooked and enjoyed some of my favorite south Indian dishes like Brinjal Rice, Raw mango pachadi and made some chocolate brownies for dessert.
As we had early lunch, me and my family started feeling hungry again and I thought of making some masala vadai for snacks to enjoy with a cup of South Indian filter coffee.Keerai vadai is a slight variation of masala vadai. This is a popular snack in South India and very similar to falafels as mainly made with split chickpeas. The recipe proportion I’m sharing will easily make 12 vadas but make sure you keep some for yourself as it gets over within minutes 🙂 ..
Keerai vadai can be enjoyed with some coconut chutney. Click here for coconut chutney recipe. So, sharing a step-wise recipe and hope you all enjoy making it too.
Keerai Vadai / Spinach Vada
Recipe Type: Snack
make delicious snack to enjoy with your evening tea or coffee with lentils and spices!
- split chickpeas/ chana dal – 3/4 cup
- Yellow lentil/ arhar dal – 1/4 cup
- Spinach – 1/2 cup (finely chopped)
- Onion – 1 (finely chopped)
- Red chilies – 2
- Asafoetida – a generous pinch
- Grated ginger – 1 tsp
- Cooking Oil – 1 cup for deep frying
- Few curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- Soak split chickpeas and yellow lentil in some water for 1 hour.
- Drain the water completely and keep 1 tbsp of soaked lentil separately.
- Add the remaining portion in your grinder along with red chilies, salt to taste, asafoetida, grated ginger and curry leaves and coarse grind it.
- Transfer the content in a bowl along with the other portion and mix it well. Add chopped spinach and onions.
- Heat oil in frying pan. Make sure to check if oil is ready. You can check by dropping a small ball of the dough in the hot oil and if it immediately comes on top, oil is ready.
- Make small balls of the lentil batter and and flatten the ball with your hands and drop it in oil carefully and fry it on low flame for few minutes.
- When it turns golden brown on both sides, remove from the pan and serve it hot with some coconut chutney.