Ulundu Vadai or medhu Vada is one of the most popular dish in South India. It is usually prepared for any special ocassion, festival or even to serve with idlis for breakfast.
These are crispy from outside and soft inside and you can simply serve them with some Coconut chutney. One of my readers requested for a step-by-step recipe to make perfect vadas. I have earlier shared recipes to make some sambar vada and dahi vada recipe (just click the names for recipe) . So, I’m linking those recipes so that you can try out the variations.
Ulundu vada is mainly prepared with white lentil (urad dal) which is saoked and then grounded with spices. So, sharing a step-wise recipe and hope you all enjoy these crispy vadas for breakfast or snacking!
- Urad dal / White lentil – 1 cup
- Green chilies – 2 (chopped)
- Grated ginger – 2 tsp
- Few Curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- Asafoetida – 1/4 tsp
- Rice flour – 2 tbsp
- Cooking Oil for deep frying
- Wash and soak lentil in water for 2 hours.
- Add urad dal, ginger, green chilies, few curry leaves, a pinch of asafoetida, salt to taste and grind it to make a smooth paste. Add minimum water to grind and then transfer the batter into a bowl.
- Transfer the content in a bowl and mix rice flour in it. Heat some oil in a frying pan.
- Take a spoonful of batter in a wet plastic sheet and shape it into a circle. Wet your hands and make a hole in between and drop it into the oil carefully.
- Deep fry in oil on low flame till it turns golden brown.
- Serve it hot with some coconut chutney.