Palak dal made with spinach and pigeon peas split lentil is a healthy side dish. This vegetarian side dish has the goodness of both lentil and spinach. Palak Dal can be made easily in a pressure cooker and served either with rice or rotis.
Toor dal/yellow pigeon peas split – 1 cup
Chopped Spinach/palak – 2 cups
Chopped onions – 1 cup
Chopped tomatoes – 2 cups
grated ginger – 1 tsp
cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Garam masala – 1 tsp (Click here for recipe)
chilly powder – 1/2 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
salt to taste
Oil – 1 tbsp
1) Wash and soak lentil in some water for 30 minutes.
2) Add onion, tomatoes, ginger in a blender or wet grinder and blitz it. Transfer the paste in a bowl and keep it aside.
3) Add oil in the pressure cooker and when its warm add cumin seeds and a pinch of asafoetida.
4) Fry till cumin seeds crackle and then add the onion tomato paste to it.
5) Saute it nicely for few minutes and add chopped spinach, lentil, garam masala, chilly powder, turmeric powder, salt and 2 cups of water and mix it well. Close the cooker and give 2-3 whistles or till lentils are cooked and soft.
When the pressure comes down mix it well and the dish is ready to be served.
Tip: You can add more water if you feel its too thick and adjust the taste by adding spices and salt accordingly.