There’s nothing like cooking with freshly grounded masala. The rich, extra flavor and aroma these fresh spices add to the dish is incomparable. Garam Masala is widely used in India specially to cook North Indian dishes. You will find many versions of this masala, but today I will be sharing the recipe which has been passed down for years in my family.
I’ve shared the recipe today with Yummly.com and proud to be yummly certifed. Please visit my guest post – Homemade Garam Masala to find the recipe!
1) Dry roast all ingredients on low flame for few minutes till a nice aroma rises.
2) Let it cool. Then, remove the outer layer of cardamom and discard.
3) Grind everything down to a fine powder and transfer the content on a dry large plate or a newspaper.
4) Spread it out and let it cool down completely.
5) Transfer the content in an airtight container and store it in a cool place. Stored this way, the spices should stay fresh for about 3 months.
Always use a dry spoon to use this powder which will help in storing it for a longer time. You can use this home-made garam masala in some of the following popular curries. Just click on the name and you can try the curry with some home made garam masala :-
Gobi Matar Rasedar / Cauliflower peas Curry
Pindi Channa / Spicy Chickpeas Curry
Aloo Methi Recipe / Potatoes with fenugreek Leaves
Baingan bharta (Grilled Aubergine)
Palak Dal / Spinach with yellow pigeon peas lentil
Spinach Corn Curry
Rajma Chawal (Red kidney beans curry and rice)