Avial is a very popular curry from state of Kerala, India. It is a healthy dish which is prepared with variety of vegetables and cooked in coconut gravy. If you love coconuts, you will definitely love this curry. Avial is also also an essential part of Onam Sadya meal. Sadya meal is served traditionally on a banana leaf during the harvest season in Kerala.
The preparation of this curry begins with chopping various vegetables in 3 inch length. These vegetables are then steamed and then cooked with a coconut gravy. You can either serve it with rice or Indian flat bread. So, sharing the recipe for Avial curry today.
- Pumpkin – 200 grams
- Ash gourd – 200 grams
- Yam – 200 grams
- Drumsticks – 2
- Potato- 1
- Carrot – 1
- Beans – 8
- Curd – 1 cup
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Coconut oil – 2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Freshly scraped coconut – 1 cup
- Green chilies – 3 (chopped)
- Wash, peel and chop all the vegetables into 3 inches length. Whisk curd and keep it aside.
- Heat a pan and add all the vegetables along with 1/2 cup of water and turmeric powder .
- Mix well and close the pan. Steam the vegetabls till they are soft and cooked.
- Grind the coconut with green chillies adding very little water.
- Now add this paste and curd into the pan.
- Let it simmer for few minutes. Add salt and mix well.
- Drizzle coconut oil and add curry leaves and mix gently.
- Transfer the content in a bowl for serving.