I always love cooking with Fenugreek leaves. I can add them in curry, flat bread or even use it to make snacks. Remember the methi mathri recipe I shared earlier in my blog? It is one of my favorite tea time snack. I also love to eat Methi Na Gota with some spicy coriander chutney and a cup of ginger tea. One of the secrets of a successful life is to cook what you like and eat it happily..
Methi Na Gota is a very popular snack from state of Gujarat, India. These deep fried balls are usually served as an evening tea time snack or eaten with Gujarati Kadhi and rice for lunch. These yummy deep fried balls are made with chickpeas flour, fenugreek leaves and subtle spices.
So, sharing a detailed recipe for making this yummy Methi Na Gota today and hope you all love eating it..
- Besan/Chickpeas Flour/Gram Flour – 1+1/4 cup
- Fenugreek Leaves/Methi – 1/2 cup(cleaned and chopped)
- Suji/Fine Semolina/Rava – 1 tbsp
- Green Chilies – 2 (chopped)
- Curd – 1 tbsp
- Black pepper corns – 4 (crushed)
- Carom Seeds/ajwain – 1/4 tsp
- Dried Coriander Seeds Powder/dhaniya powder – 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida/hing – 1/8 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Red chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
- Baking Soda – 1/8 tsp
- Sugar – 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Vegetable Oil – 2 tsp
- Vegetable Oil for Deep Frying
- Clean and chop fenugreek leaves. Drain the water completely.
- Add besan, semolina, baking soda, sugar, crushed black pepper corns, carom seeds, turmeric powder, red chili powder, dhaniya powder, asafoetida, salt in a mixing bowl and mix well.
- Now add chopped fenugreek leaves, chopped green chilli, curd, 2 tsp oil and combine to make a thick batter. You can add little water but make sure that you do not make the batter runny.
- Heat the oil in the deep pan on medium flame. Check if oil is hot enough for frying by dropping a small ball. If it puffs up immediately, oil is ready for deep frying.
- Drop small portions of the batter and fry all sides till golden brown.
- Remove the fried balls and drain excess oil.
- Enjoy as a evening snack with a cup of tea.