Wood apples are in the season and I decided to try a chutney with it. Wood apple dates chutney turned out to be delicious and it has a combination of sweetness, spice and tangy flavors. I loved it with some Pudina thepla.
On other notes, I received these beautiful spoons from my friend Rafeeda. Props always play a role in food photography and I’m in love with these pretty spoons. Thank you Rafeeda for sending them to me <3
Wood apples are rarely bought in my house as no one prefers to eat it in my family compared to juicy red apples. The rare occasions I buy these wood apples, I use them to make a chutney. Wood apples are also known as bel fruit. This chutney is so versatile and goes well with flat bread, dosa etc. So, sharing a recipe for a spicy, sweet, tangy Wood Apple dates chutney today..
- Wood Apple/ Bel fruit – 1
- Dates – 6
- Tamarind/Imli – ¼ cup
- Grated Jaggery – 1 tbsp
- Grated ginger – 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Red chilli – 1
- Black pepper corn – 3
- Cumin seeds/jeera – ½ tsp
- Vegetable oil – 2 tsp
- Hit the wood apple on a hard surface and break the shell. Core the apple, remove seeds.
- Dry roast red chilli, black pepper and cumin seeds and coarsely powder it.
- Soak tamarind for 15 minutes in some warm water. Now drain the water in a separate bowl by removing the pulp and seeds.
- Soak dates in some warm water for 15 minutes. Drain water and blitz the dates and ginger in a blender.
- Take a heavy bottom pan and add oil to it. When oil is warm, add powdered spices and mix.
- Lower the flame and add the tamarind water and grated jaggery to it. Mix it well.
- Add the dates ginger paste, salt and mix it well. Let it cook for few minutes.
- Add the apple and mix well. Mash the apple pieces with the ladle or potato masher. Cook it for few minutes till it thickens.
- Transfer in a bowl and let it cool down.