I shared Wheat Dosa recipe yesterday ( Click here for recipe ) and served Orange Peel puli pachadi as an accompaniment..This is a dish which I learnt from my grandma and I simply love the tangy flavour in it..We usually end up throwing the orange peels but did you know that it has many health benefits? So, sharing a recipe to use the orange peels..
Orange Peel Puli Pachadi
- Tamarind / puli – A Lemon sized ball
- Orange Peel of 1 orange (Finely chopped)
- Grated Jaggery – 1 tbsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Chana Dal/ Bengal Gram – 2 tsp
- Dried Red Chilly – 2
- Asafoetida – 1/4 tsp
- Few Curry Leaves
- Cooking Oil – 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Soak the tamarind for 15 minutes in some warm water. Now drain the water in a separate bowl by removing the pulp and seeds.
- Heat a pan and dry roast, chana dal, dried red chilly and asafoetida till the lentil turns golden brown. Let it cool down completely and powder it and keep it aside.
- Heat the same pan with 1 tsp oil and fry chopped orange peel for few minutes. Transfer it into a bowl and keep it aside.
- Heat the same pan with remaining oil and temper with mustard seeds till they crackle. Add curry leaves and saute for a minute.
- Now add the tamarind extract and add turmeric powder, salt and jaggery and bring it to a boil.
- Now add fried orange peel and let it boil for 8-10 minutes on low flame till it becomes thicker.
- Now add the roasted and powdered spices and mix well.
- Serve it with rice,Dosa, Idli etc.
Eliza Lincy says
Orange peel Pachdi seems so tasty. love the zesty flavour in the pachadi.