Pori urundai is a popular snack made with jaggery and puffed rice. It is crispy, crunchy and addictive! It is made for festivals like Karthikai deepam too. I just love to eat it as a snack. You can easily store this snack for a long time.
I have created a short cooking video which will assist in making this snack. You can also subscribe to my YouTube Channel to stay tuned for more videos. Click Here to subscribe.
It is an easy to make snack and the only trick you need to know is to reach the perfect consistency for jaggery syrup before you add puffed rice in it. I’m sharing a detailed recipe for Pori Urundai and hope you all enjoy making it.
Pori Urundai / Puffed rice sweet balls
Recipe Type: Snack
Serves: 8 balls
- Pori/Puffed Rice – 2 cups
- Jaggery – 1/2 cup (corasely powdered)
- Water – 3/4 cup
- Green Cardamom powder – 1 tsp
- Dried Ginger Powder – 1 tsp
- Heat a heavy bottom pan and add water and jaggery and bring it to boil. Once it starts boiling, switch off the gas stove and strain it to remove impurities.
- Heat the pan again with jaggery syrup. Add cardamom powder, dried ginger powder and boil it again. Keep a small bowl with little water handy.
- Lower the flame and add few drops of jaggery syrup in the bowl to check consistency. It should not get dissolved in water immediately and you should be able to form a ball with it.
- If you’ve not reached this consistency, boil it for few more minutes and check again.
- Once you’ve reached that consistency, remove pan from flame and add the puffed rice. Mix well with jaggery syrup till you don’t find any syrup at the bottom of the vessel.
- Start making balls. Do not wait for it to cool down or it would be difficult to make balls of it.