Vangi Bhaat is a very popular rice dish from Maharashtra, India. Brinjal Rice is equally popular in Tamil Nadu, India and known as kathirikai Sadam with little variations. To prepare this dish, we start by preparing the masala powder which is used to make this dish along with fried brinjals/eggplants. The aroma of the masala itself is enough to pull anybody to have this dish.
To prepare Vangi Bhaat, we need to prepare the masala. Lets learn how to prepare the aromatic masala:-
Ingredients for Vangi Bhaat Powder:
Bengal Gram – 1 tbsp
White Lentil – 1 tbsp
Red Chilies – 3
Coriander Seeds – 1 tbsp
Black Pepper Corn – 1 tsp
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Grated Coconut – 1/2 cup
Asafetida – a pinch
1) Dry roast all the ingredients except coconut till lentil turns golden brown.
2) Now add coconut and sauté for a few seconds.
3) Let the mix cool down completely and then coarsely grind it and keep it ready.
Read the complete recipe of vangi Bhaat and enjoy with some onion raita.
Vangi Bhaat Recipe – Brinjal Rice
Recipe Type: Rice
Make some delicious rice with baby brinjals and home-made spice mix!
- Raw Rice – 1 Cup
- Onion – 1 medium
- Brinjal/eggplants – 3-4
- Vangi Bhaat Powder – 2 tbsp (see above notes)
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Vegetable Oil – 2 tbsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Soak rice in some water for 30 minutes and pressure cook with 2+1/4 cups of water. Spread the cooked rice in a plate and keep it aside.
- Add oil in a pan and when it’s warm, add mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add onions and curry leaves and sauté till onions turn translucent.
- Add brinjal and sauté for few minutes till they are cooked and soft.
- Add Vangi bhaat powder, turmeric powder and mix well. Now add cooked rice, salt to taste and mix well.