Idli milagai podi is a spicy dry chutney powder which is widely used in South India as a condiment for Idli, Dosas, Uttapams etc. It is usually mixed with sesame oil. I usually grind a big lot and it always comes handy for breakfast especially during weekdays when I’m in a hurry to pack lunch for my hubby and sending my child to school.
Idli milagai podi is also known as gun powder. Watch this quick video to make this spicy chutney powder.
You can store this dry powder for three to six months in a dry airtight container. So, sharing the easy way to make this spicy chutney powder at home. Do try it out and enjoy it sprinkled over idli or dosa..
Click here to learn to make soft idlis at home..
Idli Milagai Podi / Spicy Idli Chutney Powder
Recipe Type: Chutney
A spicy dry chutney powder to serve with idli, dosa etc..
- Urad Dal/White Lentil – 1/2 cups
- Chana Dal/Bengal Gram – 1/2 cup
- Dried Red chillies – 15-20
- Asafoetida/ hing – 1/4 tsp
- White Sesame seeds – 2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Heat 1 tsp of oil and roast dried red chillies. Transfer in a plate
- Now roast chana dal in the same pan.
- Roast white lentil, asafoetida and sesame seeds together until white lentil turns golden brown. Transfer it in a plate and let it cool down.
- Now add all these roasted ingredients with salt in your food processor and coarsely grind it.
- Enjoy it with Dosa,idli etc. You can mix it with little sesame oil before serving.
You can adjust spice according to your taste.