I have shared a recipe to make idli batter without a grinder. You can use your mixer grinder to make idli batter at home. So, sharing a step-wise recipe to make some soft spongy idlis.
Serve with chutney and sambar..
Idly Batter / How to make Soft Idlis
- Idli rice - 4 cups
- Urad Dal/White Lentil - 1 cup
- Fenugreek seeds - 2 tsp
- 2 tsp Salt to taste
Clean and soak the rice and urad dal along with fenugreek seeds in some water in separate bowls for 5-6 hours.
Now grind the urad dal in your food processor with enough water to make a smooth batter. Next grind the rice with water.
Transfer the content in a pan and add some salt to taste and mix it well. If you feel the batter is too thick add some more water and keep it outside overnight or for minimum 6-7 hours for fermentation.
Grease the idli plate with oil and fill idli plate with the batter and steam it for 7-8 minutes.
Sprinkle little water on the back of the plate and carefully take out idlis from the sides.
- Do not make the batter too thin. It should be of flowing consistency , not runny.
- Once the batter rises and it has fermented, you can use it to make Idli or Dosa.
- You can also use parboiled rice if idli rice is not available.
- You can keep the soaked rice and lentil in refrigerator for 30 minutes before grinding. This will prevent the motor of food processor getting heated up.