Gujarati dal recipe is for a comforting dish which you enjoy any day with some steamed rice. It is a famous delicacy which is made in Gujarat, India with split yellow pigeon peas lentil ( Toor Dal). It has a nice sweet and sour taste and usually served either with theplas or rice.
Click here for Pudina Thepla recipe
Click here for Vegetable Pilaf recipe
Toor dal/Yellow split pigeon peas is a very good source of folic acid which is specially beneficial for pregnant women and children. It’s high in fiber and easily digestible. Its a good source of carbohydrates and proteins for vegetarians.So, sharing the Gujarati Dal recipe and hope you all try and enjoy!
Recipe Type: Side dish
make a comforting dish with lentils and serve with rice!
- Yellow lentil/Arhar dal/toor dal – 1/2 cup
- Grated ginger – 1 tsp
- Tomatoes – 1 (finely chopped)
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Lemon juice – 1 tsp
- Cinnamon – 1 inch long
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- red chili powder – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Grated jaggery – 2 tbsp
- vegetable Oil – 1 tbsp
- Asafoetida – 1/4 tsp
- coriander leaves for garnishing
- curry leaves – 1 sprig
- salt to taste
- Soak the lentil for 20 minutes in some water. Pressure cook lentil with turmeric powder and 2 cups of water till its soft and cooked.
- Add oil in a frying pan and when its warm add asafoetida, mustard seeds, cumin seeds and saute.
- When mustard seeds crackle add cinnamon, curry leaves, grated ginger, chopped tomatoes and saute for few minutes till tomatoes get mashed and cooked nicely.
- Now add cooked lentil, coriander powder, red chilly powder, grated jaggery, salt to taste and mix well. You can add more water if you feel its too thick.
- Lower the flame and let it simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from the flame, add lemon juice and mix it well.
- Transfer in a serving bowl, garnish it with coriander leaves and serve with some rice.
Praveen Kumar says
Shruti J says
A real authentic recipe!!! We Gujjus make this almost everyday and ur recipe is 100% perfect… 🙂 Awesome work, Priya!!!
yummy dal which could be had even during fasting days cos no onions and no garlic