1) Wash and soak rice in water for 20 minutes. Drain the water completely and cook the rice in a pan with 2 cups of water till the rice is cooked.
2) Spread the rice on a plate and let the rice cool down completely.
3) Add oil in heavy bottom pan and when oil is warm add cumin seeds, ginger, onions, bay leaf, black cardamom and saute till onions turn light golden brown.
4) Now add chickpeas, garam masala, red chilly powder and mix it well.
5) Lower the flame and add rice and salt to taste and mix it gently.
Remove from the flame and serve it with some Raita and chips/papad.