Did you know coriander or cilantro is one of the cooling herb and extremely beneficial in summer? It also helps in digestion and good for skin. So, how about a quick dish with refreshing coriander..I had malli rice (coriander rice) recently at my mom’s place and I never thought it will be so flavourful. I have mentioned before that my mom is a wonderful cook. Even her simple dishes would taste delicious and aromatic. I have hared the complete way to cook the rice in a slow cooker. So, sharing an easy recipe to make coriander rice which you serve with any curry or simply enjoy with some yogurt and some papad.
Kothamalli rice / Cilantro rice
Recipe Type: Main, Rice
Cook a delicious one-pot meal with flavours of cilantro and mild spices!
- Raw Rice – 1 cup
- Coriander leaves/cilantro – 1 cup
- 2 onion (peeled and finely chopped)
- Cumin seeds –2 tsp
- Bengal Gram / split chickpeas– 1 tbsp
- Peanuts – 2 tbsp
- Urad dal/white lentil – 1 tsp
- Red chillies – 3
- Chopped Green chillies – 1 tbsp
- Ginger – 1 tsp (finely chopped)
- Asafetida – 1/4 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Butter – 1 tbsp
- Cooking oil – 1 tbsp
- Clean and pressure cook rice with 2+1/2 cups of water.
- Spread cooked rice in a plate and keep it aside.
- Grind washed coriander leaves and green chillies to make a smooth paste. You can add little water while grinding.
- Heat oil in a pan; add cumin seeds and a pinch of asafetida and sauté till seeds crackle.
- Add Bengal gram, peanuts, white lentil and roast it on low flame till lentils becomes slightly brown.
- Add red chillies, ginger, chopped onions and sauté till onion turn translucent. Lower the flame and add cilantro paste.
- Add cooked rice and salt and mix it gently. Transfer in a bowl and serve.
You can also pressure cook rice instead of using slow cooker.[br]I have used raw rice. You can use basmati rice and adjust water accordingly. Basmati rice usually gets cooked faster with 2 cups of water for 1 cup of rice.
Eliza Lincy says
Yummy rice with peanuts tastes irresistably
nandoos Kitchen says
lovely, flavourful rice. Love it.
Tejinder Kaur says
Wow…looks yummy n nice .n v easy though. .
Will try soon..
My recent one : http://www.wellnessandvanity.com/2014/02/25/mac-fix-review-pictures-fotd/
I just have to get a rice cooker this sounds wonderful .
Krystle Shaw says
Looks yummy. I love that pretty greenish color.
Wow, this looks easy to make and yummy!
RB Biddulph says
I can taste it through the screen Priya 😉
Denise Patton says
That look delish … off to share it now 🙂 x
hi priya….. I'm shanthi from abudhabi. first of all thanks a lot for posting variety of receipes. today i've tried ur coriander rice. It came out very well. the flavor was awesome….. tasty……and spicy too. thank u so much.