Lemon Rice is a very popular rice dish from South India. It is also known as elumichai sadam which means lemon rice. Thinking of lemons itself is refreshing. You think of lemonades, pickles when you think of lemons but now think of flavored rice with it 🙂 ..
The blend of lemon and spices with the rice makes this dish absolutely scrumptious. You can simply enjoy Lemon rice with some vadaam or banana chips.
Recipe Type: Main, Rice
Prepare some lemon flavored rice and enjoy!
- Raw rice – 1 cup
- Medium sized Lemon – 1
- Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
- Urad dal/white lentil – 1 tsp
- Channa dal/bengal gram – 1 tbsp
- Peanuts – 3 tbsp
- Red chilli – 3
- Green chilli – 2 (chopped)
- Asafoetida – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Vegetable oil – 1 tbsp
- Lemon – 1
- Salt to taste
- Pressure cook rice with 2+1/4 cup of water. Spread the cooked rice in plate and keep it aside.
- Squeeze the lemon in a bowl and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard. When it splutters, add urad dal, channa dal, peanuts and red chilies and fry till white lentil turns golden.
- Now add chopped green chilies, curry leaves, asafoetida and turmeric powder. Saute for few seconds and add 2 cups of cooked rice and salt to taste and mix well.
- Remove the pan from the flame. Add lemon juice and mix well.
- Serve it hot with with papad and enjoy!