It is jackfruit season here and thought of making these Chakka Nei appams today. These jackfruit sweet paniyaram are so close to my heart as my mom used to make it. I can’t get the perfection like her but I tried them out and my family enjoyed it.
My mom was from Palakkad, Kerala and that’s why you might find a Kerala touch in my cooking. I have grownup eating dishes like kadala curry with puttu, chakka pradhaman etc. I want my family to enjoy these dishes too and often prepare it for them. I even treasure few old things which mom passed on to me like this vilakku (lamp).
Isn’t it beautiful? This lamp has been in my family for generations and my mom always wanted me to have it. I don’t treasure it because it is antique and valuable. I treasure it for the beautiful memories attached to it. This lamp has always been lit for special occasions, festivals and worship God. So, I light it today to bring that positive vibe in my house. Traditions stay alive when you believe in it…
These Chakka nei appam are easy to make and you will love them if you have fondness for traditional sweets. They are mainly made with rice, jaggery and jackfruit adds an extra sweetness to them.
All you need is the appe pan to make these delicious Jackfruit sweet paniyaram. So, sharing the step-wise recipe for making chakka nei appam. Try it out this jackfruit season and enjoy with your family.
- Raw rice - 1 cup
- Urad dal/white lentil - 1 tbsp
- fenugreek seeds/mendiyam/methi seeds - ¼ tsp
- Grated jaggery - 1 cup
- Jackfruit - 1 cup (chopped)
- Green Cardamom - 2 (powdered)
- Finely chopped Coconut - 1 tbsp
- Ghee/Nei/Clarified butter - ½ cup
- Clean and soak rice with fenugreek seeds, urad dal for 2 hours. Now grind it in your wet grinder by adding jaggery and cardamom pods and chopped jackfruits along with it.
- Use minimum water required to grind it to make a smooth batter. Transfer the batter in a closed pan and keep it undisturbed for minimum 2-3 hours for fermentation.
- Just before making appams, add chopped coconut to the batter.
- Now heat the appe pan as shown in the above picture and add 2 tsp ghee to each partition.
- Pour the batter in each partition and cook it on low flame.
- Cook for few minutes and then turn it with a stick to cook the other side.
- Remove it from the appe pan once it turn golden brown.
- Follow the same step for the whole batter and keep adding ghee to cook the appams.