Pink color always puts a smile on my face and it could be in food too. So, I decided to make some beetroot chutney today which I served with soft idlis for breakfast.
The rains have started and weather is much cooler in Bangalore now. I love rainy season as everything looks clean and you can smell the earth. You can see bougainvillea flowers blooming everywhere.
Aren’t they beautiful flowers? These flowers make you believe that there is so much of natural beauty around you. I can simply sit in balcony with a cup of tea in hand and enjoy the beauty around me.
Coming to today’s recipe.. If you love beets, then try this beetroot chutney with the goodness of beets, coconut and curry leaves. You can prepare this chutney in flat 15 minutes. You can easily serve this chutney with idli, dosa, paniyaram etc.
- Beetroot - 1 (peeled and grated)
- Fresh grated Coconut - 1 cup
- Roasted Bengal gram - 2 tbsp
- Dry Red chilies - 3
- Salt to taste
- Asafoetida/hing - a pinch
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Curry leaves - 1 sprig
- Sesame Oil - 2 tsp
- Add 1 tsp oil in a pan and fry red chilies. Now add grated beetroot, curry leaves and saute for a minute.
- Remove from the flame and let it cool down completely.
- Add sauteed beetroot- curry leaves, red chilies, roasted gram, coconut in your blender and blitz it.
- Add little water to make it into a thick paste. Transfer it into a bowl and add salt to taste and mix it well.
- Add 1 tsp oil in a small frying pan and add mustard seeds and a pinch of asafoetida. When mustard seeds crackle, add few curry leaves and saute for few seconds. Add this tempering in the chutney. Mix and serve.