Kara paniyaram is something which my family loves to enjoy as a breakfast any given day. This can be easily made in a appe pan and you can even add vegetables of your choice and make it even more healthy. You can also send it in your kids lunch box with some tomato chutney or coconut chutney. It can be served as a snack or at breakfast time. Click here for coconut chutney recipe.
I use the idli batter itself to make these Kuzhipaniyaram. Click here for the idli batter recipe. It is also known as Paddu in Karnataka. So, sharing a detailed recipe to make some delicious kara paniyaram today.
Kuzhipaniyaram / Kara paniyaram
Author: Priya Shiva
Recipe type: Breakfast
- Idli Batter - 3 cups (check the post for idli batter recipe)
- Salt as per taste
- Onions - 1 (finely chopped)
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Curry Leaves - 1 sprig
- Urad dal/white lentil - 1 tsp
- 2 Green Chilies (finely chopped)
- Grated coconut - ¼ cup
- Carrot - 1 (grated)
- Sesame oil - ¼ cup
- Heat oil in a frying pan and add the mustard seeds.When the mustard seeds crackle add urad dal curry leaves and saute until lentils turns golden brown. Transfer the content in a mixing bowl with batter.
- Next add the chopped onion, green chillies, grated carrot and grated coconut in the mixing bowl.
- Add salt to taste and mix well.
- Now heat the paniyaram kallu/appe pan for a minute. Lower the flame and add 1 tsp of oil in each hole.
- Pour the batter into the holes and cook it in low flame. Once it starts turning light brown, flip the paniyaram to the other side
- Add few drops of oil in each hole and cook until it turns golden brown.
- Serve it hot with coconut chutney.