I made some ragi idlis for breakfast today with ragi flour. Ragi is also known as finger millet which is extremely good for your health. It is a good source of calcium and iron. I have always preached about including millets in your diet as each millet comes with a pack of goodness and health benefits. I’m also a breakfast person as it is the most important meal of the day. Any nutritionist will advise that breakfast should be eaten within two hours of waking up and never skip your breakfast. This is a healthier version of idly, oil free and I have served idlis with some mint chutney and idly milagai podi.
This recipe will easily make 30-35 idlis.
Soak the rice for few hours…
Grind to smooth batter using your food processor..
Mix finger millet powder in the batter..
Steam idlis in pressure cooker using idli plates..
- Parboiled rice/puzhungal arisi – 1 cup
- Urad Dal/White Lentil – 1 cup
- Ragi Flour/Finger Millet Flour - 2 cups
- Fenugreek seeds – 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Clean and soak the rice and white lentil along with fenugreek seeds in some water for 4 hours.
- Now grind the soaked rice mix in your food processor with enough water to make a smooth batter.
- Transfer the content in a pan, add ragi flour and salt to taste and mix it well. If you feel the batter is too thick, add some more water and keep it outside overnight or for 6 hours for fermentation.
- Grease the idli plate with oil and fill idli plate with the batter and steam it for 7-8 minutes.
- Sprinkle little water on the back of the plate and carefully take out idlis from the sides.