The smell of the mint itself is so refreshing and it has many health benefits. It helps to remove bad odor, acts as a good mouth freshener, curing indigestion, helps to relieve cough and asthma, boosts immunity. Breathing in the fumes of mint helps relax the body and calm the mind, freeing it of stress. I have earlier shared a recipe for minty coconut chutney. So, sharing another version of Mint chutney which is a good accompaniment with Dosa, idli etc..
- Fresh mint leaves – 2 cups
- Few fresh coriander leaves – 1/4 cup
- 1 Onion (peeled and chopped)
- 1 Tomato (chopped)
- Chopped green chilies – 2 tsp
- Tamarind – a small lemon size
- Chana dal/ Split chickpeas – 2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Cooking oil – 1 tsp
- Add 1 tsp oil in a frying pan and add a pinch of asafoetida and chana dal. Roast on low flame till they turn light brown.
- Now add green chilies, tamarind, and onions and saute.
- When onions turn light golden brown, add tomato and saute for a minute. Transfer the content in a bowl and keep it aside and let it cool down completely.
- Add the content in your blender along with few mint leaves, coriander leaves and blitz it until smooth. You can little water if you feel its too thick. Transfer it into a bowl and add salt to taste.
- You can serve this chutney with dosas, idlis,snacks etc..