Vella Seedai or Cheedai is one of the popular dishes in South India specially made for Gokulashtami. This is my first attempt on making seedai and with Geetha amma’s guidance I’m glad that it came out well.
So, wish you all a Happy Janmashtami and hope you all have a wonderful fun-filled day with your family and friends..
- Rice Flour – 1 Cup
- Urad dal flour/White lentil flour – 1 tbsp
- Grated Jaggery – 1/2 Cup
- Butter – 1 tbsp
- Green Cardamom powder – 1/2 tsp
- Cooking oil for deep frying – 1 cup
- Dry roast 1 tbsp of white lentil in a pan on low flame till it turn golden brown.
- Let it cool down completely and grind it to make a fine powder. Sieve the flour twice and keep it aside.
- Add jaggery with 3 tbsp of water in a pan and bring it to boil. Let it cool down completely and strain the jaggery water.
- Add rice flour, white lentil flour, green cardamom powder and butter and mix it well.
- Start adding jaggery water to make a stiff dough. You can add extra water to prepare the dough.
- Roll the dough into small balls and spread them on a newspaper so that it absorbs excess moisture. Leave it aside for 7-8 minutes.
- Heat the oil for deep frying. Lower the flame and slowly drop the 5-6 balls in oil.
- Deep fry them till it turns to dark brown color. Repeat the same process for the remaining dough.
- Spread the fried balls on a plate and when it is completely down completely, store it in a airtight container.