I made some thakkali thokku for breakfast today and it really comes handy when I’m specially not in a mood to make elaborate side dishes. We can make this in a large scale and preserve.
You can easily serve this tomato preserve with some plain parathas, uttapams, dosa, idli etc. I’m going to have a busy day, so sharing this simple recipe for thakkali thokku and hope you all have a wonderful day!
You can also watch me make this thokku and follow the recipe:-
- Red Tomatoes – 5 (medium sized and really ripe ones)
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds/methi seeds – 1 tsp
- Red chilli Powder – 2 tsp
- Asafoetida/hing – 1/4 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Gingelly Oil/Sesame Oil – 3 tbsp
- Dry roast fenugreek seeds on low flame till they turn darker brown. Powder it and keep it aside.
- Wash and chop tomatoes and keep it aside.
- Add oil in a heavy bottom pan and add asafoetida and mustard seeds.
- When mustard seeds crackle, add chopped tomatoes and saute.
- Let it simmer on low flame for few minutes. Keep stirring in between.
- Lightly mash the tomatoes with the ladle and add salt to taste, red chili powder and powdered fenugreek seeds and mix it well.
- Keep stirring till the tomatoes are mushy and combines together. The oil will start leaving on the sides.
- Remove from flame, let it cool down completely and transfer the content in a glass container.