Small Onion / Shallots – 18-20
Tamarind – a lemon sized ball
Sambar Powder (Click here for recipe)
Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
Fenugreek seeds – 1/2 tsp
Asafoetida – 1/4 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Red chillies – 2
Curry Leaves- 1 sprig
Grated Jaggery – 1 tbsp
salt to taste
Sesame Oil/Cooking Oil – 2 tbsp
1) Soak the tamarind removing the seeds for 30 minutes in some warm water. Now drain the water in a separate bowl by removing the pulp.
2) Peel the skin of the small onions and clean it and keep it aside.
3) Heat 1 tbsp oil in the same pan and add mustard seeds. When they crackle add fenugreek seeds and Smalls onions and saute till onions turn light golden brown. Now add asafoetida, red chillies and curry leaves and saute for few seconds.
4) Add sambar powder and saute for few seconds. Add tamarind water, 1 cup of water and mix it well.
5) Add salt to taste and grated jaggery and bring it to boil.
6) Lower the flame and let it simmer until the gravy thickens and lets out oil.
7) Remove from stove, transfer it into a serving bowl and serve it with hot rice along with chips and papadum.