Thakkali sadam or better known as Tomato rice is a dish predominantly made with flavors of ripe tomatoes and blend of spices. I always look for quick dishes especially on weekdays when I’m in a hurry to finish cooking breakfast and pack lunch for my kid and husband. One pot meals always come handy in such times. This is a quick, aromatic rice dish with deliciousness of tomatoes.
You can enjoy Tomato Rice with some Onion Cucumber Raita.
- Raw Rice- 1 cup
- Tomatoes – 3 (finely chopped)
- Onion – 1 (finely chopped)
- Green peas – 1/2 cup
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Bay Leaf – 2
- Black Cardamom – 2
- Garlic – 2 (chopped)
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Garam Masala – 1/2 tsp
- Red chilli Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Vegetable Oil – 2 tbsp
- Wash and soak rice for 20 minutes in some water. Drain the water and pressure cook with 2+1/4 cups of water. When the pressure comes down, spread the rice in a plate.
- Add oil in your pan and when oil is warm add cumin seeds, bay leaf, black cardamom and saute.
- Now add onions, garlic and saute till onion turn translucent.
- Then add tomatoes and saute for few minutes. Add turmeric powder and garam masala, red chilli powder and mix well.
- Now add green peas and half a cup of water and cook it till peas are soft and cooked properly.
- Add cooked rice and salt to taste and mix it gently.
- Garnish with some coriander leaves and serve.