Bharleli Vangi or Bharli Vangi is a famous curry from Maharashtra, India where they stuff eggplants with freshly grounded masala and deep fry it. The combination of tamarind and jaggery adds a sweet tangy flavour and you will simply fall in love with this curry.
You need baby brinjals to make this curry and preferably choose equal sized brinjals. I’m a big fan of this vegetable. You can also check few other recipes like: Ennai Kathirikai kolumbu, Baingan bharta, Vangi Bhaat.
So, sharing another recipe of Bharleli Vangi today to cook with eggplants.
- Small Eggplants/brinjal – 6
- Finely chopped onion – 1 cup
- Raw peanut – 2 tbsp
- Dessicated coconut – 1 tbsp
- Coriander seeds – 2 tsp
- Cumin seeds/Jeera – 1 tsp
- Black peppercorns / kali mirch – 4-5
- Cloves /lavang – 2
- Cinnamon /dalchini – a small piece
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Tamarind – 2 tbsp
- Jaggery (grated) – 2 tsp
- salt to taste
- Vegetable oil – 3 tbsp
- Soak tamarind in 1/2 cup warm water for 15 minutes. Strain the pulp and separate tamarind water.
- Wash and dry the eggplants. Do not remove the stems.
- Slit each eggplant to make 4 equal parts without separating them from the stem. Soak these eggplants in warm salt water for 10 minutes.
- Dry roast peanuts, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, peppercorn, cloves and cinnamon over a slow flame for 2 minutes. Transfer it in a plate and let it cool down. Ground it to make a coarse powder.
- Roast onions till it leaves its raw smell. Now add onions, red chilli powder, grounded powder, tamarind pulp, turmeric powder, jaggery,coconut, salt in your food processor and ground it to make a paste.
- Stuff this mixture in the eggplants and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan and place the stuffed brinjals one by one. Fry them on low flame for few minutes. Keep stirring.
- Now add 1/2 cup of water, remaining stuffing, a little salt and cover the pan. Cook over a low flame till the eggplants are tender.
- Serve it hot with some flat bread or rice.