Curry leaves is a wonder herb and has its own health benefits. My family usually picks out curry leaves from any dish. So, I usually end up making some chutney out of it. Thengai karuveppilai Sevai is a quick and easy breakfast recipe made with rice noodles. I have added grounded curry leaves and it really enhances the flavors of the dish.
There are 2 ways to make sevai. You can use store bought rice noodles or you can make Sevai from scratch soaking rice and making rice flour at home:
- Clean and Soak 1 cup raw rice in water for 30-45 minutes. Drain the water and spread the rice on a clean towel.
- Grind the rice to make a fine powder. Sift the flour twice and spread it on a paper for 1 hour. Store it in a clean jar.
- Boil 1+1/2 cup water in a pan. Once water starts boiling, add a little salt and 1 cup of rice flour. Add it slowly and keep stirring to combine. Remove from stove and make hand size balls. Grease sevai press and add 2 balls. Press it on a idli plate and steam it for 5 minutes.
- You can temper this sevai as per your taste. I have also given instructions to make sevai using store bought rice noodles.
- rice noodles/arisi sevai - 2 cups
- mustard seeda - 1 tsp
- Green chillies - 2 (chopped)
- Peanuts - ¼ cup
- shredded coconut - 1 cup
- Finely chopped ginger - 1 tbsp
- Curry leaves - ¼ cup (coarsely grind it)
- Urad dal/white lentil - 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Asafoetida/hing - ⅛ tsp
- vegetable oil - 1 tbsp
- Boil 4 cups of water in a pan. Once water starts boiling, remove from flame and add rice noodles in it. Let it soak in this water for 5 minutes. Drain the water and set aside.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and add mustard seed and a pinch of asafoetida.
- When mustard seeds crackle, add peanuts and white lentil and saute till lentil turn brown. Add chopped ginger and chopped green chilies and saute for few seconds.
- Add coconut, coarsely grounded curry leaves and saute for a minute. Now add cooked rice noodles, salt to taste and mix well.
- Serve hot with chutney.