I made Ambe Upkari for lunch today and even packed it in Shiva’s lunch box with rice. Ambe Upkari is a Karnataka Style Ripe Mango Curry. I tasted this curry for the first time in one of my trips to Nagarhole National Park which is located in South Coorg. It was so delicious that I asked them to make it again for the next day too. The lady at the home-stay was kind enough to share the recipe with me and then on I got hooked on to this Karnataka Style Ripe Mango Curry.
This style of curry is very famous in Karnakata and even part of Konkani cuisine. Ambe means mango and upkari means curry. It is also known as Maavina Hannina Gojju or Mangalore style mango curry in Karnataka. This curry is sweet, tangy and spicy. It is made with small mangoes which is usually available when the mango season is about to end. I have already shared raw mango curry recipe on the blog. So, sharing the recipe for Ambe Upkari today and I hope you all relish this ripe mango curry too! I have served with steamed rice but you can even enjoy this curry with roti or any flat bread.
- Ripe mangoes - 4 (small ones)
- Green chilies - 2 (slit)
- Turmeric powder - ¼ tsp
- Jaggery - 3 tbsp (powdered)
- Dry rec chilli - 2 (long ones)
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Urad dal / white lentil - 1 tsp
- Asafoetida/hing - ¼ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Coconut oil - 2 tbsp
- Clean the mangoes nicely by running under water. Place the mangoes in pressure cooker and add 1 cup of water. Pressure cook and give 2 whistles.
- Once the pressure comes down, drain water in a bowl and peel the mangoes. keep the peeled mangoes separately. Using a spoon, extract the mango pulp from the peels and add it in the bowl with water. Discard peels.
- Heat 1 tbsp coconut oil in a pan and add slit green chilies, asafoetida and saute. Now add the water which we collected in a bowl with mango pulp.
- Add jaggery, turmeric powder, salt to taste and mix well.
- Now add the peeled mangoes and mix gently. Let it simmer for few minutes and transfer in a serving bowl.
- Heat 1 tbsp coconut oil in a small frying pan, add mustard seeds and let it crackle. Now add red chilies, urad dal and saute for few seconds.
- Pour this over the curry and relish it with steamed rice.