Lemon aval upma is one of the easiest breakfast option and can be prepared with beaten rice, lemons and mild spices. Aval is tamil word for beaten rice or flattened rice. It is also known as poha in North India. You know my love for lemons and earthen pots. I’m so obsessed with earthenware that I keep growing my collection :)..It is not that I don’t love glassware or porcelain but earthenware is more close to my heart. I remember the good old times when my grandma or mom used to cook using earthenware or store water in them. I’m talking about my school days when we did not have refrigerator in our house. So, drinking water used to be stored in matka (big earthen pots). Water would be so cool and perfect for the summertime. Earthenware gives me a feel of simplicity..
I’m a breakfast person and love to cook simple breakfast especially in the summer. This one-pot lemon aval upma comes handy and you can simply serve it with some coconut chutney. Other easy breakfast options which I love are eggless banana muffins, Rava Upma, millet idli etc. So, sharing the recipe for Lemon aval upma today. Eat breakfast and stay healthy!
- Beaten rice/ Aval / Poha – 1 cup
- White lentil/urad dal - 1 tsp
- Green chilies – 2 (finely chopped)
- Raw peanuts – 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Asafoetida/hing – ⅛ tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Lemon – 1
- vegetable Oil – 2 tsp
- Add beaten rice in a colander and run it under water for a minute to moisten it properly. You can soak it in water for 5 minutes and then drain the water completely.
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan and when oil is warm add mustard seeds and asafoetida.
- When mustard seeds splutter, add urad dal, peanuts and saute till lentil trun light brown.
- Add turmeric powder, curry leaves and green chillies and saute for few seconds.
- Add beaten rice, salt and mix well. Remove from the flame.
- Juice the lemon and add this juice in the pan and mix gently.
- Enjoy this upma with some chutney.