Koftas are fried balls consisting of vegetables which are deep fried. they can be consumed as a snack or added in gravy for curry. I have been making koftas for so many years now and always deep fried them. This is one of the reasons that I don’t make kofta often and only make them during weekends or for some party. How about Kofta in appe pan? Sounds interesting right? I have always used appe pan to make kuzhi-paniyaram or sweet paniyaram but it never struck me to use to make koftas until I saw lovely posts shared in one of the facebook groups – Chef at large. So, now I’m able to make koftas with less oil and enjoy!
I have not used any cream and used bottle gourd to make these koftas. Bottle gourd has amazing health benefits and high in water content. So, sharing a step-wise recipe for lauki kofta curry and hope you all have a great day.
- Bottle gourd/lauki – 1
- Corn flour – 2 tbsp
- Turmeric Powder - ¼ tsp
- Home-made Garam Masala – ½ tsp
- Red chili powder – ½ tsp
- Salt as per taste
- Vegetable oil - 2 tsp
- Peel and grate bottle gourd. Squeeze it to remove excess water. Do not throw this water as you can add it later while making gravy.
- Add all the ingredients except oil in a mixing bowl and mix it well. Make small balls and set it aside.
- Heat the appe pan and add few drops of oil in every hole. Shallow fry kofta balls in appe pan. Keep turning them gently in appe pan so that they fry evenly. Fry till they turn brown from all sides.
- Place the fried ball on paper tissues to drain excess oil and keep them ready.
- You can eat these balls as a snack or read the complete post to learn how to make kofta curry.
Ingredients to make kofta curry:
Fried Koftas – 4
2 large tomatoes (finely chopped)
1 big onion (peeled and finely chopped)
1 inch ginger (peeled and chopped)
6 cashews (chopped)
Cumin seeds/Jeera – 1 tsp
Red chili powder – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Home-made Garam Masala – 1 tsp
Salt as per taste
Cooking oil – 2 tbsp
1) Soak cashew in little water for 30 minutes. Drain the water.
2) Add chopped onions, ginger, cashews in your grinder and grind it to make a smooth paste. Do not add extra water. Keep this paste separately.
3) Now add chopped tomatoes and grind it to a smooth paste.
4) Heat the oil in a frying pan and add cumin seeds and saute for few seconds. Now add onion paste and stir well till the paste turn it starts leaving oil on the sides.
5) Add turmeric powder, garam masala, red chili powder and stir well.
6) Add 1/2 cup of water ( you can use the bottle gourd juice which we squeezed from grated bottle gourd) , salt to taste and bring it to boil and low the flame.
7) Keep stirring and let it simmer for few minutes.
8) Now add the fried koftas and remove from the flame.
Garnish with coriander leaves and serve this curry with rotis/naan or steamed rice.
1) You can drizzle 1 tbsp fresh cream on the curry to make it richer.
2) You can also use gram flour/besan in place of cornflour to make koftas.Yum