I made Gajar Dhaniya Thepla for breakfast today which is a kind of flat bread mainly made with wheat flour, gram flour, carrot, coriander leaves and addition of spices. Thepla is a wholesome meal and inherent part of Gujarati Cuisine. Anyone from Gujarat, India would have definitely tasted these theplas and you can make them in various styles. People from Gujarat usually eat theplas for breakfast with pickle or as an evening snack. They even love to pack them while travelling.
Theplas are easy to prepare and healthy too. You can add any choice of your vegetable or herbs like mint, fenugreek leaves, spinach, beetroots, bottle gourd to make these flat breads. I love to enjoy them for light lunch or dinner with some pickles and raita. Delhi carrots are still available in the market and I decided to make theplas with them. I served them with home-made lemon pickle and cucumber-onion raita. So, sharing the recipe for some delicious Gajar Dhaniya Thepla. Do try them out and share the feedback.
- Whole wheat flour – 1 cup
- Besan / gram flour – 2 tbsp
- carrot – 1 (peeled and grated)
- Chopped coriander leaves – 4 tbsp
- Curd / Yogurt – 3 Tbsp (Vegans can add water in place of curd)
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Chili Powder- 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- vegetable oil - 4-5 tbsp
- Add wheat flour, gram flour, grated carrot, curd, coriander leaves, turmeric powder, chili powder, salt, 1 tsp oil in a large bowl and knead well to make a soft dough. Use water only if required.
- Cover the dough and keep it aside for 20 minutes.
- Divide the dough equal parts forming a round shape and roll out each portion into thin circles. Use extra flour for dusting to roll it evenly.
- Heat a Tava/griddle and cook each thepla using a little oil till it turns golden brown on both sides.
- Serve it hot with Curd and some spicy pickle.