Kuthiraivali Pal Payasam is a healthy and scrumptious pudding made with barnyard millet. The millet is cooked in millet and cardamom gives a nice aroma and flavor. Millets have become my favorite grains since I learnt their nutritional value and health benefits. Millets are high in fiber and the best part that they are lighter than white rice. They are gluten-free and easily digestible.
This is an easy pudding which you can enjoy with the benefits of barnyard millet. You can serve it as a dessert or a treat for your children. So, sharing the recipe for Kuthiraivali Pal Payasam and hope you try it out and enjoy too!
Kuthiraivali Pal Payasam
Recipe Type: Dessert
make a delicious pudding with barnyard millet cooked in milk with cardamom flavor!
- Barnyard millet / Kuthiraivali – 1/2 cup
- Cashews/raisins – 1/2 cup
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Milk – 6 cups
- Cardamom Powder – 1 tsp
- Ghee – 1 tsp
- Clean the millet gently in water and soak for 30 minutes.
- Fry some cashews and raisins in 1 tsp ghee and keep it aside.
- Now add milk in an open pan and when it starts boiling, add millet and mix well.
- Close the pan and let it simmer for 8-10 minutes. Keep stirring in between.
- Open the pan and check if millet is cooked. If you are able to mash it between your fingers, millet is cooked.
- Add sugar and mix till it gets dissolved.
- Add fried cashews, raisins and cardamom powder. If you feel that pudding is too thick, add more milk and mix it well. Serve it hot or cold..
- Tip: Drop a steel small plate or spoon in the pan to ensure that milk does not spill.