I also use Sambar powder in curry and kolumbu to add an extra flavour and aroma. Usually all ingredients are sun dried and then given in mill for grinding but nowadays its tough to find time and space to sun dry the ingredients specially if you’re working or have small children.
Sambar Powder Recipe
- 15 Dried Red Chilli
- 1/2 cup Coriander Seeds
- 2 tbsp Chana dal/split bengal gram
- 2 tbsp Toor dal/yellow lentil
- 1 tsp Jeera/cumin seeds
- 1 tsp Pepper Corn
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/8 tsp Asafoetida
- 1/2 tsp Sesame Oil
Heat a frying pan with sesame oil.
Add red chillies, cumin seeds and pepper corn and roast on low flame. Transfer it on a plate.
Now roast chana dal and toor dal on low flame till it starts turning brown. Transfer on plate.
Now roast coriander seeds and low flame till it turns brownish color.
Add tureric powder and asafoetida and all roasted inegredients and quickly stir it for few seconds.
Spread it on a plate and let it cool down.
Grind it coarsely and store in an air tight container.
- I like to make small batch of sambar podi. You can easily double the ingredients and make a larger batch.
- Please use dry spoon to store it for a longer time.
- Use kashmiri red chillies for adding more color to your podi.