Sambar powder is a mixture of spices usually used for making Sambar. Sambar is a great condiment for Dosas, Idlis etc. You can also have sambar with some rice. I also use it in curry, kolumbu to add an extra flavour and aroma. Usually all ingredients are sun dried and then given in mill for grinding but nowadays its tough to find time and space to sun dry the ingredients specially if you’re working or have small children. So, I dry roasted the ingredients in a pan and grounded it at home and nothing can beat the aroma of freshly grounded spices. Sharing an easy recipe to make aromatic sambar powder at home.
Recipe Type: Masala, Spice Mix
A quintessential in any Indian kitchen. Now make delicious sambar with aromatic sambar powder!
- Coriander seeds- 1/4 cup
- Bengal Gram/ Chana dal – 1 tbsp
- Yellow Pigeon peas split/ Tuvar dal- 2 tbsp
- Red chillies (long red variety) – 12
- Black peppers corns – 1 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds – 2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Hing/Asafoetida – 1/4 tsp
- Add all ingredients except turmeric powder in a pan and dry roast for 3-4 minutes on low flame. Keep stirring.
- Allow it to cool and add it along with turmeric powder in your dry grinder and grind it to make a powder.
- Spread it in a newspaper or a plate and let it cool down. Store it in a airtight container.
You can store this Masala for 6 months. Make sure to store it in airtight container in a cool dry place. Use a dry spoon to take masala from the container.