Pal Payasam or kheer is a famous sweet dish which is prepared specially for auspicious occasions all across India. It is a rice pudding cooked in milk and loaded with nuts and raisins. I’m sharing the method to cook in pressure cooker as it is easier and cooks in lesser time than cooking it in open pan.
Raw Rice/Basmati Rice – 1/2 cup
Cashews/raisins – 1/2 cup
Sugar – 1 cup
Milk – 6 cups
Cardamom Powder – 1 tsp
Ghee – 1 tbsp
1) Wash the rice gently and drain the water completely and coarse grind rice in your food processor.
2) Fry some cashews and raisins in ghee and keep it aside.
3) Now add milk in a pressure cooker and when it starts boiling, add rice and cook it on low flame for 5 minutes. Keep stirring in between.
4) Close the cooker and keep it on low flame and let it cook and give 1 whistle.
5) When pressure comes down, open the cooker and add sugar and mix till it gets dissolved.
6) Add fried cashews, raisins and cardamom powder. If you feel that it’s too thick add little more milk and mix it well. Serve it hot or cold..
Tip: Drop a steel small plate or spoon in your cooker to ensure that milk does not spill.