Vinayaka Chaturthi is a 10 day long festival celebrated in India for lord Ganesha’s birthday. Food always plays a key role in Indian festivals and we make modak and kozhukattai to celebrate Ganesh chaturthi festival. Each region in India has their own way to make sweets and savories. One of the dishes which we make in South India is this Paal Kozhukattai..
Paal Kozhukattai is made with small balls of rice which is cooked in milk with sugar, cardamom and saffron. We also make savory version of it known as Ammini Kozhukattai and I have already shared the recipe of the same. So, sharing another easy recipe for a dish which you can make for Lord Ganesha..
- Raw Rice - 1 Cup
- Full cream Milk - 1 Cup
- Sugar - 1 Cup
- Coconut Milk - 1 Cup
- Saffron strands - 10
- Green Cardamom - 2 (powdered)
- Clean and soak rice in water for 30 minutes.
- Grind the rice in food processor along with 1 cup water to make a fine paste.
- Heat a heavy bottom pan on low flame and add this rice paste in it.
- Stir continuously till it combines and forms a dough.
- Remove from the flame and make small balls from this dough.
- Heat another pan and add 1 cup milk and ½ cup of water in it.
- Drop the rice balls in it and let it cook on low flame for 5 minutes.
- Now add coconut milk, sugar, saffron strands and mix well. Let it simmer for few minutes.
- Remove from the flame, add cardamom powder, mix and serve.