Ammini Kozhukattai or Kara mani kozhukattai is a dish which is usually prepared for Ganesh Chaturthi. It is also served as breakfast in Tamil Nadu with coconut chutney and my family loves it. My little boy calls it white snow balls and always gets fascinated with it. Mani means beads and these kozhukattais do look like small beads :)..These mani kozhukattai are also known as undrallu guggillu in Andhra Pradesh.
Mani kozhukattai is made with rice flour. You can easily make this flour in few easy steps.
How to prepare rice flour:-
- Clean and soak the rice in some water for 45 minutes.
- Drain out the excess water and spread it on a towel to drain out remaining water from it.
- Dry grind it in your food processor to make a rice flour. Sieve the rice flour twice, spread it in a newspaper and leave it aside for 15-20 minutes.
I have already shared a recipe for Thengai Poorna kozhukattai. They are specially made for Ganesh Chaturthi. So, sharing the recipe for Ammini Kozhukattai today and I hope you enjoy making it for this Ganesh Chaturthi. They are healthy and delicious too :)..
- Rice flour - 1 cup
- Freshly Grated coconut – ½ cup
- Urad dal/white lentil – 1 tsp
- Chana Dal - 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves - 1 sprig
- Chopped green chilies – 1 tbsp
- Red chilli - 1
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Salt to taste
- Vegetable Oil – 2 tbsp
- Heat a heavy bottom pan and add 1 tbsp oil and 1 cup of water to it.
- When the water starts boiling, add 1 cup of rice flour and salt to taste to it.
- Keep stirring till it becomes a dough and remove from the gas stove. Knead the dough once with oil greased hands when the dough is still warm and keep it aside.
- Grease your hand with oil, pinch the dough and start making small balls out of it.
- Take an idli plate and place a wet cloth over it. Place all the small balls on it and steam it for 5 minutes.
- Heat a frying pan and add 1 tbsp oil.
- Add a pinch of asafoetida and mustard seeds.
- When the mustard seeds crackle, add chana dal, red chilli and urad dal and saute.
- Lower the flame and add curry leaves, chopped green chilies and saute for few seconds.
- Now add grated coconut and saute for a minute.
- Finally add the steamed balls and mix well.
- Remove from the flame and serve.