I had been to a Maharashtrian restaurant recently where I had Moongachi Khichdi. I usually make dal khichdi with split green gram but the chef in the restaurant had made it with whole green gram. It had a mild flavour of pepper and cumin and tasted simply delicious. I went home and asked my aunt who lives in Mumbai about it and found out that Maharashtrian families usually make it with whole green gram and use goda masala. I did not have goda masala handy but I had recently made some pepper rasam powder and decided to use to make this khichdi.
Khichdi is a comfort food which is cooked with rice, lentil and mild spices. It is healthy and comforting. You can even add vegetables to it and make it more nutritious. Click here for recipe of Vegetable dal khichdi. So, sharing the recipe with you all of Moongachi Khichdi with a twist of Pepper rasam powder. Serve it hot-piping drizzled with some Ghee and enjoy it simply with some pickles and papad 🙂
- Rice - ½ cup
- Moong dal/Whole green gram– ¼ cup
- Turmeric powder - ½ tsp
- Rasam Pepper powder - 2 tsp
- Fresh Dessicated coconut - 2 tbsp
- Salt - As needed
- Ghee - 2 tbsp
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Finely chopped ginger - 1 tsp
- Green chillies – 1 (chopped)
- Onion – 1 (finely chopped)
- Curry leaves - 1 sprig
- Clean and soak rice-green gram in enough water for 30 minutes.
- Drain the water and pressure cook soaked rice-lentil with 3 cups of water, salt and turmeric powder. The rice should get mushy and well cooked.
- Heat a frying pan, add ghee and temper with cumin seeds, ginger, green chillies, onion. When onions turn translucent, add curry leaves, coconut and give a quick stir.
- Now add rasam pepper powder and saute. Add this mix with cooked rice and mix it well.
- Drizzle some warm ghee and serve.