My little boy usually does not prefer to eat his veggies separately. So, I often look for options like Variety Rice or Stuffed Parathas etc. Carrot rice is a great option specially for lunch box and you can easily send it with some Raita and chips.
Ingredients to cook plain rice:
Raw rice – 1 cup
Water – 2 and 1/2 cups
Method to cook in pressure cooker:
If you’re cooking directly in a small 3 liter cooker – Add washed rice and water and close the cooker. Cook it for 2-3 whistles and the rice is ready to be served.
If you’re using basmati rice, add 2 cups of water for 1 cup of rice.
Ingredients to prepare Coconut rice:
Cooked rice – 3 cups
Grated Carrot – 1 cup
Grated coconut – 1/2 cup
Mustard seeds –1 tsp
Channa dal/Bengal Gram – 1 tbsp
Urad dal/white lentil – 2 tsp
Red chillies – 2
Chopped Green chillies -2
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Ginger finely chopped – 1 tsp
Asafoetida – 1/4 tsp
Cashew nuts – 7-8
salt to taste
Cooking oil/Coconut oil
1) Spread the cooked rice in a plate a and keep it aside.
2) Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds and a pinch of asafoetida. When they crackle, add channa dal, urad dal, cashew nuts and roast till it becomes slightly brown.
3) Add red chillies, green chillies, ginger and curry leaves and sauté for a few seconds.
4) Lower the flame and add grated carrot and coconut and sauté for a minute.
5) Add cooked rice and salt and mix gently.
Transfer it into a serving bowl/plate and serve it hot with some chips or papads or any side dish with gravy.
You can also add some boiled corns, cooked french beans or any other vegetable of your choice.