Khandvi is a popular snack from states of Maharashtra and Gujarat, India. It is prepared with chickpeas flour which is combined with curd and water and cooked on low flame till the batter becomes thick. It is then spread on a plate or flat surface and cooled down. It is seasoned with curry leaves and coconut and imply delicious!
So, here’s an easy recipe to make Khandavi at home. Khandvi is also known as Suralichi Vadi in Maharashtra and served as an evening snack with hari chutney. Click here for recipe of Hari chutney. Watch this video to make khandavi at home!
- 1 cup besan/chickpeas flour
- 1 cup curd
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- Green chillies - 3
- Ginger - 1 tbsp (chopped)
- ⅛ tsp Asafoetida/Hing
- 2 cups water
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- Freshly grated coconut - ¼ cup
- salt to taste
- Grind 1 green chilli and ginger to make a paste.
- Add besan, curd, salt, ginger-chilli paste, 2 cups of water and turmeric powder in a mixing bowl. Beat it well to make sure there are no lumps and strain it.
- Add this strained flour mix in a sauce pan and start cooking on a low flame and keep stirring the batter continuously.
- Once the batter reaches a thick consistency, turn off the flame.
- Grease the back side of the plates with a little oil and spread a thin layer of batter.
- Let it cool down for 10 minutes and then cut it into strips with a knife.
- Add oil in a frying pan and when oil is warm, add mustard seeds and asafoetida.
- when mustard seeds crackle, add curry leaves and 2 chopped green chillies.
- Remove from flame and add freshly grated coconut.
- Add this tempering on the plate and start rolling khandvi.
- Serve khandvi with chutney.