Panakam is jaggery based drink which is made for Sri Ram Navami. Rama Navami is the day on which Lord Rama was born in the land of Ayodhya. We mainly prepare Neer Moru which is a spiced buttermilk and Panagam for this auspicious day.
Panakam or panagam is one of the best summer drinks. The mix of jaggery with dried ginger and cardamom helps to keep your body cool. It is sweet, refreshing and you can prepare it in flat 10 minutes. The traditional drink is usually prepared only with jaggery, water, dried ginger and green cardamom. Nowadays you will find variations to this same drink. So, you can think of variations to this easy drink by adding lemon juice, cloves, black pepper corn, tulsi (holi basil) etc. It is good to make these traditional drinks which reminds me of my childhood days. I have grown up watching my grandma and mother cook with such passion and love. I seriously hope that passion has rubbed on me too. So, sharing the panagam recipe and wish you all a happy Ram Navami.
- Grated jaggery - 1 cup
- Water - 4 glasses
- Dried ginger/ sukku - 2 tsp
- Green cardamom - 2 (powdered)
- Add grated jaggery in water and mix it well till jaggery completely dissolves in water.
- Strain jaggery water. Add dried ginger, cardamom and mix well.
- Pour in serving glasses and serve with some ice-cubes.