I’m in a cleaning spree today and thought of keeping something light for lunch. I remembered that I had recently made some parappu podi and decided to share the easy recipe with you all. Parappu means lentil and podi means powder. So, this is a powder made with lentils and very popular in South India. I had earlier shared a recipe for Curry Leaves powder and these really comes handy when you are not in a mood to cook something elaborate.
Check out this quick video to make Parappu Podi.
We usually mix parappu podi with a spoon of ghee , plain steamed rice and enjoy it with some papads. I use it to spice up curry too. I’m going to have a busy day and hope you all have a great day..
- Toor Dal/Yellow pigeon peas split – 1 cup
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Garlic cloves – 6-8
- Asafoetida/hing – 1/4 tsp
- Dried Red Chillies – 6-8
- Salt to taste
- In a frying pan, add dal and roast on low flame.
- Add asafoetida and keep roasting till lentils turn light brown. Transfer in a plate.
- Now roast red chillies. Transfer in a plate.
- Roast curry leaves and garlic too.
- Let all roasted ingredients cool down completely.
- Add all the ingredients with salt in your blender and blitz it to make a coarse powder.
- Spread the powder on a newspaper and let it cool down completely before storing in an airtight container.