Semolina/rava/Sooji – 2 and 1/2 cups
Plain Yogurt/dahi – 1/2 cup
Urad dal/white lentil – 1 tsp
Chana dal – 1 tsp
Broken Cashews – 2 tbsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Shredded fresh coconut – 2 tbsp
Green chillies – 1 tbsp (finely chopped)
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Chopped coriander leaves – 2 tbsp
salt to taste
Fruit salt/Eno – 1 tsp
Cooking Oil – 3 tbsp
1) Add 3 cups of water and yogurt in your blender and blitz it until smooth to make buttermilk.
2) Combine the semolina, buttermilk, 2 tbsp of oil and salt together in a bowl and mix it well. Keep aside for 30 minutes.
3) Heat the remaining 1 tbsp of oil in a small frying pan and add mustard seeds.
4) When the seeds crackle, add white lentil, chana dal, cashews and saute on low flame till lentils turn light brown. Now add the coconut, green chilies and curry leaves and sauté for a few seconds.
5) Pour the tempering over the semolina batter and mix well.
6) Add the fruit salt, coriander leaves and 3/4th cup of water and mix it gently.
7) Grease idli molds and pour batter in it and steam for 8 to 10 minutes.