Pani Puri or Gol Gappa is one of my favorite street food. It is also the most famous street food in India. Whether you call it pani puri, puchka or gol gappa, everyone loves to have a share of it. I shared a recipe for how to make puris for pani puri earlier on my blog and with the continuity sharing a recipe to make the complete dish with the recipe for pani and filling. Hope you all enjoy making this street food at home as much as I enjoy making it and eating this delightful water balls 🙂
Ingredients for Pani –
Mint leaves -1 cup
Coriander leaves – 2 tbsp
Tamarind/imli – a lemon size ball
Grated ginger – 1 tbsp
Green chilies – 3
Cumin seeds powder/jeera powder – 1 tsp
Black pepper powder – 1 tsp
Salt to taste
1) Soak the tamarind in 1/2 cup of warm water 30 minutes. Strain out all the pulp and keep the water aside.
2) Combine this tamarind water with mint leaves, green chilies, ginger, coriander leaves and grind to a fine paste.
3) Transfer the paste into a large bowl and combine with 1 liter of water, black pepper powder, jeera powder and salt and mix well.
4) Chill this water for few hours.
Ingredients to make Pani Puri –
1) Combine mashed potatoes, chopped onions and salt to taste in a bowl.
2) Crack a small hole in the center of each puri.
3) Fill with a mashed potato mix, top it with little sweet tamarind chutney, immerse it in the chilled pani and eat immediately.
You can also keep some sweet tamarind chutney directly mixed with the pani and serve as metha pani.